12 Benefits of SQL (Structured Query Language)
The benefits of learning SQL are growing and considerable. SQL has had a tremendous increase in its usage during the last few years. This trend is set to continue as organisations collect more and more data which they need to store and then make sense of. Skills in SQL are therefore much sort after in the job marketplace. Do you speak “sequel”?
Why use Structured Query Language? (SQL):
- SQL Standard: First standard for SQL was in 1986 by ANSI (American National Standards Institute) and ISO (International Standards Organization) followed in 1987. The latest standard part was made in 2011.
- Portable: SQL runs on mainframes, PCs, laptops, servers, tablets and smartphones. It runs in local systems, intranet and internet. Databases using SQL can be moved from device to another without problems.
- Open Source: Free databases from MySQL, MariaDB and PostGres means, SQL databases can be used at low cost and with large communitiews behind them.
- Used by major DBMS system vendors: SQL is used by all vendors such as IBM, Oracle and Microsoft who develop DBMS.
- Easy to learn and understand: SQL consists mainly of English statements and making it easy to learn and write a SQL queries.
- Interactive language: SQL can be used to talk to databases and get answers to complex questions in seconds.
- Programming language: SQL can be used by programmers writing applications using databases, for example, shopping applications on the internet.
- Complete language for a database: SQL is used to create databases, manage security of a database. While its main use is for updating, retrieving and sharing data with multiple users.
- Multiple data views: Different users of the database can by SQL be given different views of the structure and content of the database.
- Client/Server language: SQL is used to connect front end computers (clients) and back end databases (servers). Thus, supporting the client-server architecture.
- Internet usage: SQL can be used in three tiered Internet architecture. The architecture includes a client, application server and a database.
- SQL a highly desirable skill: Many jobs including IT support, web development and business data analysis require skills in SQL.
Systematix provides instructor led training courses throughout the UK on all levels of SQL Querying and Microsoft SQL Server.