Ortho Clinical Diagnostics has provided the global healthcare community with the means to make more informed decisions for nearly 70 years. As a Johnson & Johnson company, they have pioneered some of the most important, life-impacting advances in diagnostics—from blood typing to the latest developments in laboratory systems.
Today, they are focused on creating innovative new diagnostic products, improving existing ones, advancing knowledge and shaping the future of diagnostics within global healthcare.
Ortho Clinical serves the transfusion medicine community and laboratories around the world. They are a leading provider of total solutions for screening, diagnosing, monitoring and confirming diseases early before they put lives at risk. Their single focus is to help hospitals, laboratories and blood centres worldwide deliver results that help patients experience a better quality of life.
Ortho Clinical Diagnostics have a couple of teams responsible for or interacting with Microsoft SQL Server, each with different levels of experience and exposure to SQL Server, so they approached us for SQL Server Programming training.
- They wanted training on site where they have their own training room. There were initially four students for one course, with two delegates having little experience with SQL and two had basic knowledge of SQL 2000 and SQL 2005.
- They thought our ‘SQL Server 2008 Programming' course sounded ideal for the first two and a good refresher for the other two. They also wanted to include basic information on how to create DTS packages in SQL 2008.
- The initial need for four delegates for one course grew to nine delegates requiring training over two separate courses
We delivered an initial 5 day SQL Server 2008 Programming course for three delegates in September 2012 following the prescribed syllabus and format; this was customised in order to meet the exact needs of the delegates. Key areas for their business applications were addressed with course material and answers to questions well presented. The trainer covered topics of specific interest and created a friendly, open atmosphere that enhanced the quality of the course.
The company subsequently booked another course for December for six delegates for members of another department as well as the ones from the original department who could not attend the first course due to shift patterns.
The second course was again customised to meet the delegates’ business objectives and to extend their skill set so that they could use the most advanced querying techniques and development tools within SQL Server. By the end of the course we met all their objectives.
As a direct result of the two courses delivered, Ortho Clinical Diagnostics have:
- Managed to achieve their business objectives due to the use of practical examples provided within the course, enhanced by the trainer’s extensive knowledge of SQL Server programming.
- Used the knowledge gained in designing a new database for production use.
- Used the knowledge gained in investigating issues with production databases, including an issue with indexes, which was covered comprehensively in the training.
- Enabled non IT staff to understand the structure of an SQL database and write queries to help in investigating issues.