Length 2 days
What is Microsoft Power BI Desktop?
Microsoft Power BI Desktop is a free, self-service business intelligence application that provides non-technical business users with tools for aggregating, analysing, visualizing and sharing data.
Power BI Desktop puts visual analytics at your fingertips with intuitive report authoring. Drag-and-drop to place content exactly where you want it on the flexible and fluid canvas. Quickly discover patterns as you explore a single unified view of linked, interactive visualizations.
You will be either an experienced IT or non-IT business user, perhaps with some query writing skills or a data analysis role. Anyone who needs to connect to, process, or analyze data in order to produce suitable outputs at all levels within an organization.
A basic understanding of data/database concepts.
Be able to create formulas using standard aggregate functions.
Lesson 1: Getting Started with Power BI Desktop
- Power BI Concepts and Overview
- Introduction to Main Features
- Filters and Queries
Lesson 2: Connecting to Data Sources with Power BI Desktop
- Data Sources Power BI Desktop will connect to
- Data Types and Properties in Power BI Desktop
- Import and Enter Data
- Get Data and Query Editor
- Introducing the Query Editor
- Using the Query Editor to Connect to Data
- Combining Data Sources as a Mash Up
- Working with Relationships in Data
Lesson 3: Data Visualizations
- Overview of Data Visualizations
- Tables and Matrix Views
- Applying Conditional Formats
- Interactive Data and Date Slicers
- Drill Visualizations to see underlying data
- Create Reusable Field Hierarchies
- Record Grouping
- Binning in Visualizations to create Histograms
- Drill Visualizations using Dates
- Analytics and Forecast Lines in Visualizations
- Creating Role Based Views
- Data Categories
- Geo-Data and Maps
Lesson 4: Querying and Shaping the Data
- Common Activities using Query Editor
- Pivot and Group By
- Creating Custom Calculated Columns
- Adding Conditional Columns
- Using Conditional Columns Visualizations to create a Histogram
- Introduction to DAX Expressions
Lesson 5: Reports and Output Options
- Report Elements and Options
- Working with Pages
- Adding Graphics
- Visual and Filter Settings
- Export Power BI Data to CSV
- Import Custom Visuals
Lesson 6: Introduction to Dashboard development/Layout
- What is a Dashboard?
- Some Key Points when creating a dashboard
- Overview of Basic Dashboard Design Principles
- Questions to Ask Before Distributing Your Dashboard
Please note that this course is not suitable for inexperienced Excel or database users.