Welcome to Using Microsoft® Windows® 8.1. Whether you’re new to computers or have used them in the past, this class will help you become more comfortable using a personal computer (PC) and, more specifically, the Windows 8.1 interface. This course will help you to define what a PC is, and familiarize you with the Windows 8.1 user interface and its basic capabilities. In this course, you will explore Windows 8.1 and learn how to create documents, send email, browse the Internet, and share information between applications and with other users.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to perform basic work-related tasks on a PC running the Windows 8.1 operating system. You will:
- Get to know PCs and the Windows 8.1 user interface.
- Use Windows Store apps and navigation features.
- Work with Desktop applications.
- Use Internet Explorer 11.
- Customize the Windows 8.1 environment.
- Use Windows 8.1 security features.
This course is designed for any end user, especially an individual new to computing, who needs to use the features and functionality of the Windows 8.1 operating system for personal and/or professional reasons.
This course is intended for new computer users who want to use the basic tools and features of Windows 8.1. No particular prerequisite skills are required, but any previous exposure to personal computers and the Internet is helpful.
Getting to Know PCs and the Windows 8.1 User Interface
- Identify Components of a Personal Computer
- Sign In to Windows 8.1
- Navigate the Start Screen
Using Windows Store Apps and Navigation Features
- Access and Identify the Charms
- Windows Store Apps and Common Navigation Features
- Multitask with Apps
Working with Desktop Applications
- Navigate the Desktop
- Manage Files and Folders with File Explorer
- Elements of a Desktop Window
- Create and Modify Files with Desktop Applications
Using Internet Explorer 11
- Navigate Internet Explorer 11
- Browse the Web
- Use Internet Explorer 11 on the Desktop
Customizing the Windows 8.1 Environment
- Customize the Start Screen
- Customize the Desktop
Using Windows 8.1 Security Features
- Set Privacy Levels and Passwords
- Use Windows Defender
- Store and Share Files with SkyDrive